Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sick and Tired

For the past few days I have been sick.  It is no fun being sick.  I have a cold; the sore throat is not any fun.  I have been takeing medicine, but I still don't know what is wrong.  The weather has been really cold.  This isn't helping my cause.  I think I need to figure out something different to get rid of this.  Maybe I need to recoup.  On this same subject, I would like to address those of us who may be sick and tired, spiritually, who haven't been able to find help.  To get better takes medicine, it takes change, and it takes time.  Just like what I am going through with the cold, concoring spiritual sickness takes this too.

First, it takes medicine.  The medicine for sicknesses comes at the cost of dollars.  We can buy it at the store.  Some sicknesses are severe and we go see a doctor and he prescribes us for stronger medicine we buy over the counter.  This costs more, but is stronger.  Medicine for spiritual sickness comes through prayer and repentance.  What the Lord asks for the cost is a broken heart and a contrite spritit.  In other words, humble, sorry, and willingness to change.  The Lord said in 3 Nephi 12:19, "And behold, I have given you the law and the commandments of my Father, that ye shall believe in me, and that ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Behold, ye have the commandments before you, and the law is fulfilled."(emphasis added)  Sometimes our sicknesses are severe.  We need extra help.  The Lord had provided representatives we can meet with to help us out.  The Lord, through them, prescribes stronger medicine that we can do to help us overcome.

Second, it takes change.  We have to get away.  With my cold, I have to get more rest and stay away from the cold outside.  Even if I take the medicine, if I spend lots of time out in the cold and don't get adaquate rest, I will not get beter.  So it is with spiritual sicknesses.  We must change and get away from those situations that lead us to do those bad things.  We must do things that draw us closer to God.  For example, read scriptures, pray, and go to church.

Lastly, it takes time.  When we are sick, we must be patient.  No matter what we do, our bodies still need time to recover.  If we rush it and give up, we will not recover.  Same with spiritual sicknesses.  We need to be patient with ourselves.  No one can change overnight.  It takes consistent efforts.  Don't get discouraged.

I can promise that as we do these things, we will find peace of soul.  I testify that the cleansing power of Jesus Christ's sacrifice is real and very powerful.  He has spoken in Isaiah 1:18, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts, Elder. I hope you get feeling better.

    ReplyDelete