Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Season? Shopping ... Driving ... Family ... a Manger

Driving up the road, we saw lights on in a house we have been trying to get in, but nobody has been home when we have tried before.  Elder Wells and I knocked on the door, a lady invited us in.  We sat down and started talking; in our discussion, she was surprised to find out that we didn't go shopping yesterday, after all it was black Friday.  This time of the year is exciting.  Thanksgiving was awesome, and today I have found myself thinking about Christmas.  I know it is a ways away yet, but this is a big thing.  Yesterday all of the shoppers were out for the big deals getting things for Christmas.  As a missionary I didn't go shopping yesterday, instead I was out talking with people about our Savior Jesus Christ.

The true meaning of the season points to our Savior and his birth.  It is super easy to get distracted, but that is what Satan does with all of the things that are good.  I'm not saying shopping and gifts and festivities are bad, because they are good.  What I am saying is that we need not forget the real celebration.  I am really thankful to be a missionary during Christmas time.  I have been asked how hard it is to be away from family and friends for the Holidays; my response is it is hard, but it isn't something I would trade.  I have the chance to not be distracted and contemplate the true reason for the season.  I wouldn't change it for the world.   

No comments:

Post a Comment